Friday, September 7, 2012

DATES

Friday, Sept. 14
PTO Fundraiser
Monday, Oct. 1
PTO Fundraiser Ends
Saturday, Oct. 6
PTO Everything sale
9am – 2PM
Thursday, Oct. 4
School Pictures


I don't believe the fusion site is up and running properly. I will let you know when it is available.
 
*Please read the School Newsletter sent home or view it on the Hamilton website. 

I need to thank my new class for a terrific week! It can be exhausting for them after a long summer break and they handled that and the crazy hot temperatures so well. We have been working into the school routine slowly so as to not overwhelm anyone! I have sincerely enjoyed this week with your children. I know this will be a great year for us!


Routines: We have been getting to know routines of our school and classroom. Some things are different and we are learning together. My students have been staying quite positive and rolling with whatever comes up! I am very proud of them! One of the most important things that I hope students are beginning to already learn about our classroom is to ask questions, ask for help, and not to let the small things create stress for themselves. As we get to know each other, I believe they will become more comfortable and confident in letting me know their concerns or worries no matter how big or small so we can learn and enjoy school.

Field Trip Alert: We have a field trip to the Outdoor Discovery Center on October 12th. You will receive more information later. If you want to volunteer you MUST have a WISH form submitted. Volunteers for 5th grade are coordinated by WISH.


Math:
We have begun MEAP preparation - multiples, factors, division, multiplication so far. As we are following Common Core math this year, our first unit will be "Operations and Algebraic Thinking"- sounds daunting than it is! We have already talked a little about Order of Operations. Next week we will get more involved in this. The test for this is very short as there are only two standards involved. I will send websites for help as needed.

Reading:
We have worked on MEAP Prep., comprehension strategies, and reading for information strategies this week.

Writing:
  We wrote a short piece based off of the "Important Book" and placed it on our bulletin board.
Next week we will do a personal narrative piece about our summer.

Spelling:
Spelling begins next week - I will send home a list to study on Monday!


Science: 
Our science unit is Objects in the Sky. We are investigating what causes the seasons.
Thanks for a great week! I will have some pictures next week on my blog.













































No comments:

Post a Comment